|Where Are They Now? 1939-1961|
Any Old Trevertonians who wish to have news items published on this page should send these to the OTA Secretary at the school address or email them to otasec @ treverton.co.za. Send us updates too, please, when you see that your information is getting out of date.
The Early Days
DUNN, Roger - living in England and working on British racecourses.Â Visited his old school in October 2002 with his wife Norma.Â His nickname in those days was 'Over Dunn' and little brother Napier who sadly passed away a couple of years ago in Durban, was 'Under Dunn'.Â While he was here, he reminisced over old friends and teachers.Â Astounded at how much has changed over the years.
BEARD, Peter - one of the oldest OT to make contact with his old school. Tel: 082-894-3996
BONNET, Chris - has memories of the 'Terrors of Treverton' in the early years; of starving boarders breaking in to the san to steal toothpaste and going home with "very sore bottoms" (which "did us no harm in the long run"), One of his fondest recollections is of the satisfaction of actually beating Michaelhouse in a cricket match. Chris founded the Offshore Sailing Acadamy in Durban in 1979 and is still going strong. Ph 031 3077944
1947TUNGAY, John - Founder of Drakensberg Boys Choir School, Retired to Howick Tel 0827399087
BENNETT, Robin - Has worked with the Standard Bank (1953 - 1955), Union Castle Line (1956 - 1957), 3rd Carabiniers (Prince of Wales Dragoon Guards) (1958 - 1971), Royal Scots Dragoon Gurads (Carabiniers and Greys) (1971 - 1980), Western Frontier Regiment (Sultan of Oman's Land Forces) (1981 - 1985), and from 1985 - 1996 with the Ministry of Defence (MS6).
MARSHALL, Tony - remembers life at Treverton during its first decade. Tel: 011-673-2204
1950McALLISTAR, Don - retired Town Clerk. Still resides in Mooi River. Tel 033 2631330
1952LORIMER, Robert - at Treverton under Peter Binns from 1949 to 1952, now lives at 27 Clifton Mews, Pointsettia Place, Kingsburgh 4126. Tel: 031-916-4393.
GRICE, John - at Treverton from 1951 - 1953. Currently living in Hillcrest and writing his anecdotes of his days at Treverton.
1954BLYTH, Robin - was at Treverton from 1949 to 1953. Now associated with The Toy Boutique in Howick. Cell: 083-473-4343. Address: 24 Giekie Road, Merrivale 3291.
LINDSAY, Ewan - left at the end of 1954 and went to Maritzburg College. He lives and works in Leicestershire in England as a civil engineer.
1955BRINK, Kelvin - living in Seattle, USA, since August 2001.
CURRY-HYDE, Charles was at Treverton for Standard 5/6 in 1954/55
LANSLEY John Ernest - at Treverton from 1951 to 1955.Â Living in Pinetown working for Spectrum Buss. Brokers in Durban.Â Tel: 031 701 1938
LINDSAY, Rob - Form 2 in 1955. He is a geologist living in Centurion.
PRICE, Shaun - at Treverton from 1951 to 1955 and went on to Hilton College, Ormonde House, where he played 1st XI cricket and 1st XV rugby. Following Hilton College (1955-1959) he was at Saldanha Naval Gymnasium in 1960.[Leading Seaman.(killick)]. Thereafter became an insurance broker1961 -2003 working out of Manchester Blackpool Liverpool Birmingham UNITED KINGDOM 1961-1965. Bogota COLOMBIA 1966-7, Bloemfontein Pretoria Cape Town Kimberley East London King Williams Town and Stellenbosch from 1968-2003. Sporting activities include Squash Lancashire OFS Griqualand West & Border. Local leagues cricket hockey & tennis. Married with (4) Humphrey, Heather, Gillian & Melani. Now retired resident in Brackenfell CAPE TOWN.Â Mobile 072-4924246
Mr Les Peterson called into the School recently with a photo of the Standard V in 1956. Thank you Mr Peterson for remembering all the pupils. His contact details are 083 349 6938.
Back Row: George Rew, Les Petersen, Graham Culdicott
1957GODDARD, Peter - after leaving Treverton in Std 6, he went to Pretoria Boys High and Wits. Now working in Australia as Head of the School of Business & Technology, La Trobe University, Box 199, Bendigo 3552.
1958DUBY, Peter Jon - left Treverton at the end of 1958, after four years as a boarder, mostly under the headmastership of Peter Binns, the founder of the school. After completing high school at Pretoria Boysâ€™ High School he was conscripted into the army. The following year he started a course in architecture at Pretoria University and started singing folk semi-professionally. Having criticised the government in public he left South Africa at short notice for London.Â While working in various architects offices there he returned to Africa and, with a small group, spent eight months driving from Islington in north London to Pretoria. He found employment in Swaziland and, at the end of 1976, married one of his fellow African travellers, Fiona, on a hillside there.Â He spent almost eight years in Swaziland, had two children, Sam and Zoe and worked for UNESCO on a Swazi government project to build/extend over 50 secondary schools throughout the country. Returning to London in the mid-80â€™s, he went back to working in architects' offices, but eventually his itchy feet got the better of him and in 1988 he joined the Red Cross as a building and shelter specialist in Bangladesh following the devastating floods that covered 60% of that country in that year.Â Â He spent just over two years in Dhaka, returning to London at the outbreak of the Gulf War in August 1990. The 1990â€™s were spent in London working in various architectural practices while the children completed their schooling, and in 1999 his wanderlust took him to Nigeria, an illuminating experience. He worked and lived in Lagos and in Warri in the Niger delta oilfields, leaving Nigeria in 2002.Â Contemplating semi-retirement he returned to Swaziland, but an old friend from his folk-singing days drew him to Rustlersâ€™ Valley in the eastern Free State and he spent the following years dividing his time between Swaziland and the valley. The death of a close friend prompted a re-think of his life and when the Indian Ocean tsunami struck he was contacted by the Red Cross to go to Sri Lanka. In October 2005, when the earthquake occurred in NE Pakistan he travelled to Kashmir to help â€“ and remained for a year!Â In late 2006, his daughter, Zoe, who had been working in Nairobi, decided to do an MSc at Cape Town university and they decided to drive in her Pajero from Kenya to South Africa via Malawi and the Mozambique coast.Â It was a wonderful trip and a delightful way of celebrating his 60th birthday! Returning to London at the start of 2007, he joined an architectural practice that specializes in eco-friendly and environmentally low-impact buildings and is currently seeing the last stages of a new primary school overlooking the Firth of Clyde, just west of Glasgow. He has a wonderful partner, a job he's loving and two successful children; he spends his leisure playing the guitar and is researching the history of the area of London in which he lives.
BARNES, Jeff - left in 1959 and finished schooling at Queens College, Queenstown.Â Married Liz (Buzz) Burrows of Kokstad and has two sones Russell and Rory.Â He has been in accounting all his life and has lived in Halfway House for the past 8 years.
1960BAKER, Stephen - was a pupil at Treverton from 1957 until April 1960 when his family returned to England. His brother, Anthony, was also a pupil from 1958 to 1960.Â Anthony called in to Treverton early March 2004, as he is on a visit to SA with the Morgan Car Club from England. It was his first visit since 1960.Â
NAYLOR, Kevin - now living in Westville, Kwazulu-Natal, Kevin has provided some lovely photos and memorabilia of the early days. Address: P O Box 1025, Westville 3630. Tel: 031-266-2306. Cell: 083-955-0668.
Note: The Treverton Preparatory School for boys established by Peter Binns in 1939 closed in 1961, a few years after his death. It was re-opened under the present Trust in 1964. The secondary school, Treverton College, was opened in 1970 and both schools became co-educational in 1978.